Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Kent Meet!

This weekend was my first indoor meet of the season and it was held at Kent State University. I woke up at 5:15 AM to get ready and finish packing before I walked over to the cafeteria for mandatory breakfast at 6 AM. Once I ate my two bowls of cereal for breakfast, I headed to the bus to load up. Our bus was a little late and our coach wasn't too happy about that. I think the bus driver drove extra fast because we got to the meet in about two hours and it should of taken about two and a half hours. Once we got to the meet, we set our stuff down, and being a typical girl, headed to the bathroom! And I think this is the one downfall of the facility. They only had three stalls in the girls bathroom so there was always a fifteen minute wait to use the facilities!!!

We got back to our team area to be reunited with our coach from last year, Coach Tom! It was nice to catch up and see what he has been up to. He is now a jumping coach at Notre Dame College and says he likes it, but nothing compares to us :) Once me and my teammates were done talking to him, we layed down and just hung out for a little bit. We had until 2:50 to run so we just relaxed.

So after realizing that the meet wasn't moving along as fast as they would have hoped..we sat around some more. Eventually some of my family showed up and a couple friends of mine! My mom was there, along with my brother Taylor and his girlfriend Sarah. My grandparents came and my godfather also showed up. I thought that was it for my "fan club" but shortly after I talked to my family, I was tapped on the shoulder by Brian Musick and Jeff Musick! Sadly, Brian had to leave because he had more important things to do.. But Jeff ended up leaving and then coming back!

Anyway, by the time we raced it was five oclock and I just wanted to be done and go home. I was tired and hungry and just wanted to sleep in my own bed. I was very nervous standing at the line waiting for the gun to go off. I was trying to run under twelve minutes and my coach was pacing me. We were supposed to run consistent 95s for the 400s but that didn't happen..We started out at 92s for the first three laps and I was getting worried. I ended up dropping back from my coach a little and my 400s slowed. I was eventually at 100 seconds for one of my 400s. With a few laps to go, I started catching people and picking up the pace again. With 200 meters to go, my coach yelled to me that I was at 11:12 and I would really need to pick up the pace to break 12. I came down the last stretch hoping I would do it.. And I did!!!!! I ran an 11:57 and I was so happy because it was a 27 second pr from last year! And I did it in my first meet of the season! So after I exchanged sweaty hugs with my family, I went out to do a cool down with my teammates and coach. After I got back, me and my friend left to go home with my mom so I could spend a relaxing weekend at home before classes start :)

1 comment: